Saturday, September 17, 2016

Sept 17, 2016 - Lewisburg, WV to Wytheville, VA

I am going to try to capture the route we took today from Lewisburg to Wytheville.  As I'm writing this in our room in the Bolling Wilson Hotel in Wytheville the window is open, the breeze is cool and I can hear a train horn in the distance.  We are on Main St. but there is no noise to speak of; an actual quiet small town.  We had a great dinner at the Log Cabin 1776, which was of course built in the year 1776.  The food was good and the waitress was a hoot; young and when I kidded her about using a slide rule to figure out our bill she said she didn't know what a slide rule was!  So I had to look it up on Google and show her.  We got a kick out of that.  When I asked her about the stew on the menu she said it was "cute", so I ordered it and a picture is below, I think.

The route we took today was something special.  All local roads except for the last 5 miles or so.  Here it is: Left Lewisburg on US 19 south to, US 460 south at Rich Creek and crossed the New River to pick up Main Street/SR 100 at Narrows, took that south past Staffordsville and picked up SR 42 (Walkers Creek Valley Rd.) following Walker Creek, turned south on 670 (Mt. Zion Rd.), turned left (south) on 738 (Robinson Tract Rd.), turned right (south) on 601 (Little Creek Rd.) which followed Little Walker Creek to I-77 South to exit #41 (Pepper Ferry Rd.) to Wytheville.

738 (Robinson Tract Rd.) was beautiful, about 10 feet wide, a series of true 180 degree switchbacks with so little traffic that there were leaves covering the road at spots.  A couple of pictures below.






No comments:

Post a Comment