Sunday, June 25, 2017

June 25, 2017 Grantville, PA to Portland, ME 479 miles

Today was pretty much Point A to Point B in a mixture of interstates, parkways, threats and turnpikes.  Not a lot of rural back roads but still pretty eventful.  At the Pennsylvania, New Jersey state line I looked to my right and say a deer in the side of the road staring straight ahead as if she was thinking about trying to cross the highway.  Luckily for her and me she stayed still.  Crossing the Hudson River on the Tappan Zee Bridge was an experience I would rather not repeat.  The bridge in use is not in good shape; crumbling concrete, jarring seams and major construction of a replacement bridge.  I'm glad I was driving on a Sunday and not during rush hour.  Had a nice lunch break at a rest area.  Rest areas have been a pleasant surprise, well landscaped and maintained and very busy.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get several unpaid toll now in the mail.  I know there were several toll zones but I never paid after seeing a sign that said don't stop because they will mail the bill.  We shall see.

I missed my riding partner Susie yesterday and today.  She rides pillion meaning she sits on the passenger seat.  I know she would not have liked all of the highway mileage but I think she would have found some of it interesting. Plus, I just miss her. She flies in to Portland tomorrow afternoon and then we head to Bar Harbor Tuesday to officially kick off the trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment