Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Tuesday, February 23, 2021 - Fredricksburg TX

 It has been a well travelled 2 days.  I have ridden over 1,100 miles since leaving Gainesville yesterday morning at 7am.  I stayed last night in Lafayette, LA.  The roads have been a real mixed bag. Going around New Orleans was a mess.  Roads under construction, trucks, barriers, 2-lanes and lots of traffic.  I was in ride mode and did fine.  I averaged 80 mph on the speedometer which is around 77 real speed.  Weather was fine just a light rain for maybe an hour Monday the rest of the time cool and dry.  This morning's start was 39 degrees. I had my heated vest, grips and seat and I was very comfortable.  There was a lot of pretty strong wind both days.  In fact, the wind really reduced my mpg which caught me off guard the firat time I saw the low fuel warning. 

Some random observations:

I saw some indications of the recent winter storms like electrical repair trucks but not much else.  People I spoke with either knew someone who lost power and water or lost it themselves.  All the businesses were open.

Lots and lots of Trumps signs and flags at half-mast in recognition of Rush Limbaugh's passing. And soon after I saw several massive new wind turbine blades on trucks and almost everyone wearing masks.

I saw an Austin policeman riding a BMW RT 1200 motorcycle, good taste.

I took the bypass around Houston taking me close to the port.  The number of oil storage tanks was amazing as well as what I think was a massive and intricate refinery. I've never seen anything like it.  I saw one other refinery plant today.  The complex mix of piping over huge areas is mind blowing.

The Cajun accent is wonderful - rolling, soft and foreign-sounding, yet welcoming and familiar.

Time to wrap it up and see if I remember how to import photos.

 

Dinner at a German restaurant in Fredericksburg, TX


My motel room in Fredericksburg


I visited LBJs ranch

I-10 under construction in Louisiana

No comments:

Post a Comment