Thursday, July 13, 2017

July 13, 2017 Quebec City, Quebec, 0 miles

After a breakfast of crepes we stayed within Quebec City walking throughout the Old Quebec area.  Lots of tourists in this part of town.  The outer part of the old city is still surrounded by a fortress wall (Ramparts) originally built by the French in the 1600s and later reinforced by the British who successfully defended against the American invasion of Canads during the War of 1812.  We walked around portions of the Ramparts that had canon looking down on the river.
Enough of history, back to food.  We started the day by walking through the farmer's market located about 100 yards from our hotel. We saw lots and lots of freshly made goodies including macrons of several flavors we had to sample. Not surprisingly, my favorite was the chocolate mint variety.  I also talked with a member of a native Cadadian tribe who makes leather goods.  I bought a men's bracelet made of antelope antlers.  My Geezer friends will definitely be jealous.
Food Update:  I had my first plate of poutine tonight at dinner. A light meal of french fries, bacon, ground beef, cheese curds all covered in gravy with fried onion rings on top. The waitress said the people in Quebec like eating it with mayonaisse, which I had to try of course.  Kind of reminds me of what I would want to eat when I was hungover and living in Kalamazoo in the winter.  Definitely not a meal for hot summer days in Florida. 


1 comment:

  1. Given the right circumstances I could eat that Poutine again, next time I would add a fried egg.

    ReplyDelete