Tuesday, July 18, 2017

July 18, 2017 East Dorset, Vermont to Portland, Maine, 215 miles

I can't believe we are back in Portland. In some ways it feels like we were just here getting ready to leave on our big adventure.  And on the other hand,  when I think about all we have done and seen in the last 3 weeks it seems like we have been gone 6 months.  We packed a lot of miles and memories into this trip.
Today was a pleasant ride on nice 2 laned roads through Vermont and New Hampshire before getting on the Interstate in Maine. I added 2 maps of today's route below.  The first one is a screen shot of the Spotwalla map using the Spot tracker and the second one is from Google maps daily router option using my phone.  
Lunch was a pleasant surprise.  Susie looked up restaurants while riding on the back seat and found Stubby's Place.  It had 4.5 stars with a lot of positive comments.  When we pulled up to Stubby's we looked at each other and almost decided to turn around and leave - it was borderline.  We decided to stay and went inside.  It was decorated in historic NASCAR period pieces all over the walls. Long story short, the food and service was excellent. I had what was the best corn chowder I have ever had.  Al, Stubby's son, was the only one in the small kitchen.  When we left I hollered at Al that it was the best corn chowder I have ever had; he smiled and said it's not healthy, containing cream, bacon and ham, but it's good. 
We hit a little rain on the way into Portland but drove through it without having to put on our raingear.
Susie flies back to Gainesville tomorrow and I'll start heading south on The Mighty GS.

No comments:

Post a Comment