Sunday, September 2, 2018

Balkans September 2, 2018 Zagreb, Croatia

8:00 pm.  Mostly random thoughts and pictures from our walk around Zagreb today.
Sooz found the best coffee bar in town so we had to check it out.  We ordered the pour over coffee for 2 at Eli's. The coffee and batista show was worth the visit.  Eli takes his coffee seriously and I have to say it was very good, with no cream and just a little sugar it was smooth and not bitter.
He then comp'd us on a special shot of espresso that about blew off the top of my head - it was strong and had a very fruity citrus flavor.  I began sweating and felt light headed as we sprinted out the door, but in a good way.  Eli and one waitress handled everything and he even had a turntable right next to him so he could play and change tunes while making coffee. 
We walked uptown and met a basketball player from Chicago who plays in the European league.
We saw an example of officially sanctioned curb and sidewalk parking.  I may propose this to the Gainesville Planning Department.
I found Harry Potter's flying broom in a market area.
A receipt from Banca Transilvania.
A picture showing the odd but somehow appealing mix of new graffiti and old architecture. 
I have a picture of the most ugly neon/digital sign in a beautiful public square that should be illegal.
We are off tomorrow to the Predjama Castle.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Terry and Sooz, I've really been enjoying reading about your Balkan adventure since finding the link to your travelogue on the LD riders mailing list. Hearing about this trek is especially intriguing as I spent a dozen years living and working in the area you're riding through -- seven in western Slovenia and five in Sofia, BG, frequently traversing the areas between (though sadly never on a bike). I can't wait to hear your impressions of Slovenia. It's among my favorite places on the planet (though I admit to being a bit biased, as it's where I met my wife and both of my sons were born there). If your schedule there permits at all, I highly recommend you make a visit to Lake Bohinj, and the road that winds up the Soča (aka Isonzo) Valley in the extreme west of the country would be a fantastic ride, too. Great posts, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JD, thanks for the comment and I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. We are having a great time and will be headung to Lubyana and then Lake Bled region. The area you mentioned is in our to do list.

      Delete