Wednesday, May 25, 2022

May 25, 2022 - Mt. Vernon, IL - 457 miles

Overall, a good day. Weather started out in the upper 60's and very muggy. As I headed north the temp warmed to 80 and it got very windy. The wind combined with lots of trucks and road construction kept me on my toes.  In fact, when I crossed the Tennessee and Ohio rivers I leaned forward to get completely behind the windshield with my helmet nearly touching the gas tank and my arms tucked in to reduce wind resistance and exposure. It sounds more radical than it is and it really works.

Fun fact, gas mileage on the bike is reduced by 5-7 mpg when heading into the wind.

I don't have Suzie, my riding partner (and wife 🙂), with me which means I don't have a lot of action photos taken of the scenery while riding - she does an amazing job taking pictures from the back seat.

Today I saw lots of cows, some goats, fields of wheat, soybeans and corn. There were also a surprising number of vineyards and wineries. I wasn't expecting that.

Today's route

Nothing like an espresso for the afternoon doldrums 

I'm participating in a fundraiser for first responders and military veterans which has participants visit various sites and take a picture of your bike and flag to get points.  This is a WWI Memorial in a cemetery in Hopkinsville, Kentucky 

I used the visit to the cemetery to take a break 

No comments:

Post a Comment