Sunday, April 14, 2024

April 14, 2024 - Ridgecrest, California

 Last night at stayed in a cabin at a KOA campground in Kingman, Arizona. Before yesterday, I never knew KOA's had cabins. It worked out well.  The cabin was pretty small but had everything I needed.  The site also has a swimming pool, whirlpool and small market.

During the KOA breakfast this morning I met a couple of guys who were tent camping at the KOA and riding 2 BMWs.  They were good friends and it was fun watching them go back and forth. 

The first leg of today I visited a Lake Mead observation area and was surprised the Lake still looked low. I thought they had gotten more rain out there. 

Next I stopped at Zabriskie Point, inside Death Valley National Park, which provides a view of the Badlands.  The formations looked like sand dunes, but weren't. 

I continued on Highway 190 until I turned south on Panamint Valley Road.  I noticed I had about one-half tank of gas but figured I'd be okay.  I came the closest I have ever come to running out of gas. I had no bars left on the gas gauge, with an estimated 3 miles left before I would run out of gas. Luckily, I found a gas station just in time.

Tomorrow, I head to Ragged Point Inn and Resort along the Pacific Coast Highway, where I will meet Brother Ted Tuesday.



My new best friends at the KOA Campground, Carl on my left and Paul on my right



The dash on the GS showing it had 3 miles left before running out of gas



The GS took 5.183 gallons of gas in its 5.2 gallon gas tank



$25.00 to enter Death Valley Park, they wouldn't take my lifetime National Park pass



Lake Mead



Death Valley wild flowers in bloom



The GS pointing to Death Valley



Zabriskie Point viewing area



Death Valley from the GS saddle



No comments:

Post a Comment