Saturday, April 13, 2024

Saturday, April 13, 2024 - Kingman, Arizona

 Tonight I am staying in a cabin at a KOA campground at Kingman, Arizona. I never knew KOA campgrounds had cabins until last night when I was poking around looking for a place to stay and did not want to pay $200 a night for a Hampton Inn. This is a great find for half the price of a HI. It's a nice little cabin fully equipped, nearby is a nice swimming pool, whirlpool, and mini-market where I picked up a few things for dinner.

I rode here today from Gallup, New Mexico. The morning started out at 34 degrees and warmed up pretty quickly. I started on I-40 and switched to the infamous Route 66 in Seligman, AZ where I also had lunch at Westside Lilo's Cafe, which I highly recommend. 

The section of Route 66 was in good shape and remote, had much less traffic and only a few semi-trailer trucks.  But it did get windy again.  Temperatures today were all over the thermometer - starting in the 30's, warming into the mid-70's and then dropping again into the 50's when I reached an elevation of over 6,100 feet around Flagstaff, AZ.

Yesterday, I rode from Amarillo, Texas to Gallup, NM, around 500 miles, including a detour to ride to the top of Sandia Crest just outside Albuquerque, NM.  The ride to the top at over 10,000 feet was twisty and in mostly good shape except the last 2 miles or so which had a lot of loose gravel. The views of Albuquerque were spectacular.

Tomorrow, I plan on riding through Death Valley on my way to Ridgecrest, California where I will spend the night. I looked at spending the night in Death Valley but rooms were either not desirable, unavailable or way too expensive.


View of Albuquerque from the top of Sandia Crest



Leftover snow at the top of Sandia Crest



Some hungry cowboys and a massive elk on the wall at Westside Lilo's Cafe 



The GS watching guard outside my KOA cabin



My gourmet dinner tonight from the market at KOA



Route 66 in-between Seligman and Kingman



The GS checking us in at the KOA campground



Temperature this morning at Gallup





1 comment:

  1. You're covering a lot of interesting territory. The "gourmet" dinner certainly was not appealing! Onward and upward!!😊 M

    ReplyDelete