Thursday, June 2, 2022

June 2, 2020 - Watson Lake, Yukon Territory - 410 miles

Wildlife seen today close to, or on, the road:
- 1 slowly meandering porcupine crossing the road
- 6 bison (buffalo)
- 5 pronghorn
- 1 dall sheep
- 1 caribou (reindeer)
- 8 black bear

The weather was beautiful again ranging in temperatures from 55 to 77, sunny and no wind. The roads were in good shape, even the dirt sections were solid but dusty.  I went well over 100 miles again without seeing a gas station. 

I made a couple of stops for coffee, homemade rubarb/strawberry pie and chocolate chip cookies- time well spent.

The road went through parts of the northern Rockies, next to fast moving rivers and some leftover snow in the shadows.

I met and rode for awhile with Pierre from Quebec. It's been nice riding with a fellow traveler. Nice guy.

Highway 97 in Yukon

Liard River

Bison

Black bear

Love this sign warning motorcyclists of an upcoming bridge with grating

Right after I put my phone away after taking the picture I turned around and saw a very big black bear staring at me about 20 feet away. I wasted no time getting on the bike and getting out of there

Pierre from Quebec took this of me while we waited for construction to clear

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. I deleted all the ones with my thumb in the picture.

      Delete
  2. Quite the day of spotting wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was kind of weird seeing all these animals after seeing none for so long.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're not trying to get closer lol

    ReplyDelete