Sunday, June 5, 2022

June 5, 2022- Gakona, AK - 200 miles

I'm starting to feel a little road weary so I'm taking my time and enjoying the scenery. My place in Tok last night was nothing to speak of except for the price, which was very reasonable.  And there was a very good restaurant next door named Fast Eddie's. I had halibut fingers last night at Fast Eddie's and it was excellent.  It was my first time eating halibut and I can highly recommend it. I forgot to mention that the night before last I had my first sockeye salmon and it too was excellent. 

Four Brits just pulled up on MotoQuest rental bikes and it looks like they are staying the night and looking for beer to drink which they just happen to serve here at the Gakona Lodge. 

Taken at the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park Visitor Center

I think the National Park ranger said this is one of the first Harley Davidson motorcycles ever built

Comparison of a moose hoofprint next to my hand

Gakona Lodge before the Brits showed up


My bedroom made of solid logs, no paneling 

My new friend Tom. He and his wife Kim are owners of the Old Town Copper Center Inn & Restaurant  and were kind enough to open up the kitchen on their day off to serve me a warm individual homemade apple pie with ice cream and coffee. Sooz and I will stop in when we are nearby.

Need I say more!

Trying to get artsy with the camera

The Brits' bikes with plastic gas cans bungee-corded on the back

Friendly blokes all originally from the UK having known each other for 30 years. It's pretty cool they have stayed in touch and try to get together every year even though they are spread out in different parts of the world. They have had a lot of motorcycle trips including other trips in the US.

Another new friend Coda. He is one huge husky.

No comments:

Post a Comment